Pages

Search This Blog

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Christmas gift

I got the best Christmas present this year I could get. It wasn't a fancy bauble or an expensive toy. It was a moment. A moment in which I could see myself as I am now and not as I was before. I saw a woman in the mirror for the first time and not the hated male I was used to seeing. I was so moved by this moment that I felt the need to write about it. It doesn't really have a title yet but I'd welcome suggestions.

I saw... her
For the first time today
Out of the corner of my eye
And my shock caused me to stray

I stepped back
And retraced my steps to stare
With fascination into the glass
And when I looked she was still there

She stared back at me
Shock, recognition and then delight
Passing fluidly over her features
And in that moment my heart took flight

She was still familiar
Though it was evident how she had changed and grown
Her features were much softer now
And more feminine than I had known

She was becoming a woman
I realized that yes that time is near
And I smiled at that with tears of joy
As I walked away from the mirror

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations ... I hope some day to see a picture of you .... as you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh Amy.. sorry I put myself twice..It's been so long since I used blogger.. I first used the wrong email address... so the By George one is my blogger page.

    ReplyDelete